Friday, August 31, 2007

The Crux of Cars

As a 17 year old boy, cars are a wonderous and beautiful thing.


As a political activist and free-thinking human being, they are the bane of the earth.

First a bit of background: Cars emerged in a time of growth throughout the world. They filled a niche wonderfully, allowing people to transport themselves and their goods rapidly and efficiently. And they ran on gasoline!

Since those days, cars have continued to be the most useful way to transport people and things, especially in America.

But now we've reached a moment in which cars are beginning to be more of a burden than a boon.

Cars have singlehandedly tied us inexorably to the Middle East and the oil industry. They have singlehandedly inspired the greatest piece of legislation to be passed in the United States: The Federal Aid Highway Act of 1956.

Pollution, a violently important and often ignored issue, is on the rise partially because of the use of cars.


Obesity in Americans is at an all-time high. The fact that we drive consistently doesn't help. We're not getting any exercise!

And, finally, city congestion has begun to reach critical mass because the population growth coupled with the growing number of cars per person has led to almost inoperable levels at times.

So I've detailed the reasons why cars are an outdated concept, one that actually threatens the country.

Now, I need to make one other thing clear: Cars are wonderful. The four majestic wheels roll sexily along the street as the stereo pumps. The seats allow one to look from a reclining position at those people not driving. And the big, shiny, windows allow you to nod non-chalantly to anyone who looks, because, "yeahh, I'm drivin' this car".

Okay. So I'm a teenager. I have a brand spankin' new Driver's License burning a hole in my pocket, and the need for speed. I love driving, and I love being in the car.

All Americans are in love with cars, and I think that is what makes it so difficult to support alternative modes of transportation, such as public transportation, bikes or even, god forbid, walking.

But I stand here a changed man. I've written it down, and now I know, CARS ARE BAD.

I'm not buying into the hype. I'm not allowing myself to become restricted to a car. When there's a more efficient alternative, I'm taking it.


I think we, as a nation, need to make that same decision. (And perhaps subsidize some new alternatives to driving.)

Go and see if that bike is still working. Dust it off, pump it up, and go enjoy the fresh air.

p.s. mom and dad: I know you weren't going to buy me a car so don't pretend that you were.

2 comments:

Dark Matter said...

It's rather a circular issue, actually. Cars have become so prevalent because more people live in the suburbs, which was (ironically enough) made possible by cars. Unfortunately, many cities have very poor public transportation, and many people live a half hour drive or more from anyplace worth going to. Since I've entered college, I've walked, biked, or taken the bus, and I much prefer all three to driving. Public transportation is going to be a major factor in where I live next, if only because it's much more interesting and less stressful than driving. But at home, biking, riding a bus, or walking aren't possible, because I don't live in a town or city. My friends and I carpool a lot, but it isn't an option for everyone.

Max Rosenbaum said...

this is certainly going to be a difficult problem to fix...